Wednesday 8 February 2012

Front Cover of the Haverhill Weekly Gazette

First Draft

When measuring our local newspapers that we were using as a guide we noticed that we were using the wrong measurements. My local newspapers sizing was too long, as I had used the measurements for an A3 piece of paper. I discovered that I was suppose to be using 305 mm X 365 mm. 
Also looking at this newspaper and comparing it to our local newspapers the what's inside article titles font was too small. So for my second draft I shall change the size of the layout and include larger font for the what's inside article titles. 


Second Draft



Unfortunately when I had to change the size of the layout of my local newspaper I had to reduce the size of the advertisement at the bottom of the page. However from the widening of the page I love the size of the masthead as it has enlarged their is a lot more focus on that which is good as it shall draw more attention to the newspaper and away from other local newspapers. 
I also really like how the header seems to be bolder, even though it did not change the font it also, like the masthead, draws more attention to itself, which is very appealing. 

Things to still complete: 
From this you can see I have small changes to make. For example, there is an unnecessary hyphen in the word 'against'. There is also two font sizes. The font is also different from the copy and I want it to be the same as it is a local newspaper and the font, which we used for the copy - Franklin Gothic Book, is a friendly font. 
I am also going to change the page number for 'Local dog breeder fears life in prison', to page number 2 , as I do not have a story to write about for my contents page and I have decided to use this story as it is an interesting story, that will immediately grab the audience's attention with the shock and horror of a local which could be so cruel. 
I still need to include the date, web address and price on my local newspaper. 
One of the main projects I need to do is complete my photography so I can add the images into the front cover of my newspaper. 

Third Draft


I have now done my photography and included the images into my newspaper. I have also designed my advertisement. Yet  I am not 100% happy with this outcome so I shall compare my newspaper to other local newspapers from around my area and play around with the layout a little bit to make it more like a newspaper. 


First Marked Draft


Now I shall go on to make these improvements.



First Marked Draft


Only small improvements to make now. Yet I am very happy with the outcome. I think that this looks professional and just like a local newspaper.

Finished final product



No comments:

Post a Comment